Friday, November 9, 2018

Spud Buster!

Spud Buster!

The Farm Report 11-09-2018



"There's more than one way to skin a cat," I always heard as a kid growing up in Iowa. Here are two ways to dig potatoes: one is the 'old fashioned' way. Potato forks have their place. 


Here's my version. When the farm store sold me the attachment, they called it a 'Middle Buster.' I added my own homemade potato digger, and voila! now it is a Spud Buster. Eat your heart out, Red Green!


You really didn't think I would use a fork to hand dig spuds from rows this long, did you? What do I do with all the 'taters? Murphies are good for lots of things including baking, but I enjoy giving away a lot of garden produce. Since I have the room, why not grow 'em? 


Henry Ford is quoted as saying that 'Generally, a man with a machine is more productive than a man alone.' I agree. This little 1952 Ford 8N is not only fun, it works, too. 


I like to wash off the excess dirt before storing. I have a constantly cool dark room where I can keep them, usually all winter long. The left-overs will go back into the ground next March to seed the new crop. 


Ready to go nite-nite for the winter.


Over the years, I've learned (the hard way) that the storage containers need to breath. I use a hot soldering iron to perforate the plastic lids and sides. Don't forget to make drain holes in the bottoms, too. (Juicy rotten potato soup collecting in the bottoms isn't pleasant! Ask me how I know....) 


BUT HERE'S THE REAL 'SPUD-BUSTER!'

That's right; it is just exactly what it looks like. This is a modified cement mixer/tater washer.  


I don't watch Red Green for fun. It is instructional TV. I know that because it used to be on ETV - Public Broadcasting at its University sponsored finest. How do you make one? First, get yourself a cement mixer and take out the mixer paddles inside. Then, cut a plastic drum to make a belt that can fit inside where the paddles were. Drill out the plastic belt and add rubber chicken plucker fingers. You get 'em on ebay. 


When everything is locked and loaded, add your spuds. Fill it with water and Turn It On! 


This is a video. I hope it will play for you. Believe it or not, this thing works! What do you do with all those golf ball sized little Murphies? Slick 'em up in the Buster, and then grate 'em into hash browns. See it on Youtube.


Here's a batch cleaned and ready for the kitchen. 


How could you not want one? 


Alternative November Calendar Picture....
Compare last week's 'Official' November shot to this one. It is supposed to get to around 14F tonight with high winds. (Editor's Note: It actually got down to 6F!) One month ago, October 3, actually, it was 92F and I was running the AC. Iowa weather is just something else. Warm and cozy here at the farm. Oakdale is for teaching the ebb and flow of the seasons - and reminding us we are just along for the ride. Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.