Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Onward! The Farm Report 02-28-2022

 Onward!

The Farm Report
02-28-2022



Onward and Upward! Winter isn't over yet, but we're ready to move on to a new season. To spur things on, and improve my attitude at the same time, I've been growing amaryllis flowers. 



This one is a little reluctant. I'm pretty much starting over, as I let my old bulbs decline during the time Joyce was sick. The bulbs will go out into a nursery row in the garden as soon as the weather settles down (no frost!). They will regenerate and be even better next year.



'Daffy Dills' as my Dad called 'em. They are fun to force into bloom too. Remember when I showed you the bulbs in the pots a couple of months ago? Well, here's the reward.



Of course, not everything lasts forever. My living room isn't too bright, and the bulbs kept getting taller and taller. Eventually, after several coffee mornings where I said to myself, "You need to stake those up," but didn't, they finally fell over. Usually, I throw these bulbs on the compost pile. They do not recover like the amaryllis bulbs do. But, this year, I have put the pot into the greenhouse to see if they can get a second wind. Time will tell. Never give up!



One week ago yesterday, it was so warm I took off my jackets and split wood in a sweat. One week ago today, it was becoming cold and miserable. One week ago tomorrow, it was 0F and the ground was white with snow and ice. It isn't summer yet....



We have had some nice days though. I'm putting a fresh coat of paint on the Kratky hydro-grow pans. Why? These are just cheap Walmart sweater pans. They will absolutely fall apart after just  a few weeks in the sunshine if the plastic isn't protected. Plus, if light gets into the fertilizer and water solution, green slimy stuff grows, and that kills the roots and the plants. 



Another project to be listed under the 'Never Give Up' header: The 'protected air space' garden on the south side of the greenhouse has been a disaster since the beginning. Weeds! Weeds! Weeds! My climate here is so unpredictable and changes so drastically (see weather notes above) I have not had success growing hybrid tea roses. In Wisconsin, I raised bunches of them. HT roses are my favorites. Well, the idea of creating a micro-climate intrigues me and that is why I put up the shelter fence, etc. on the side of the greenhouse. So far, the weeds have enjoyed it more than the roses. I don't give up, though.
 


I have decided to put landscape fabric down where the weeds once grew. Of course, there's always something! My greenhouse is 25 feet long. Exactly. The roll of ground cover I bought said it was 50 feet long - NOT. See that gap? Well it is over a foot long. That means my roll was really only 48 feet long! Those cheaters! So for every two dozen rolls they sell this way, they're getting an extra roll free to sell to some other sucker! I'm an Iowan born and bred. Cheat me once, and I'll never forget your name; cheat me twice and you'll never forget mine!



Another laugh on me. I thought I'd just go ahead and set the fabric down nice and tight with landscape staples. I forgot that even though the day was nice, the ground is still frozen like a rock.  Duh.....



I laid wooden deck planks around the perimeter to keep the edges neat. That was part of the original plan anyway.



Much to my oldest son, Chad's consternation, I keep some old tires around the place just for times like this. They are keeping the fabric down while the wind is blowing a gale.



Inside the greenhouse, the rose canes are beginning to root out. I'll use these as rootstock for my new batch of hybrid tea roses later on.




A problem being a long-time seed saver is that I have a ton of 'old' seeds in my archives. Sometimes they need a little 'tonic water' to help 'em get the spirit and grow. Giberellic acid is one of the tricks I use on hard to start seeds. Too many years in the chemical manufacturing business is showing, I'm sure!



I put the seeds on a damp paper towel and put that inside a cheap, thin, sandwich bag. This is important, because the thin plastic will allow oxygen to flow in and out of the bag - which helps get better germination.



These little 'wicking pots' are a magic plus when starting seeds, too. The bottom pan holds water, and there is a wick at the bottom of the top pan. It sticks through holes I cut in the pan so the wick can dip down into the water. Steady constant moisture. This one is Dakota Pearl onions.



Success! Ailsa Craig is a HUGE bulb onion. Fun!



A plug tray full of spinach and radishes to start in the hydroponic system later. 



And here are some pics that are sort of 'bass ackwards' in order. This is a finished and planted hybrid rain gutter hydroponic system. The top part with the white stuff is an actual plastic rain gutter. It also has a wick in the bottom. The wick goes through holes down into a section of down spout which holds water. Set it and forget it!


 
The gutter is filled with potting soil. Why so many peas? They are about 6 year old. If any of 'em grow it will be a miracle. Maybe a few will. If they all do, then that is what 'pea greens' in salads are for.



Here is the wicking material at the bottom of the gutter.


 
The wick goes down into the water pan below. If all goes well, and I want to set the peas out into the garden later, then I just unscrew the wooden end cap and slide out the peas into the garden row. Easy peasy.



"Tim, this is boring." Annie isn't into gardening as much as I am.



And we're off and running the Hydroponic Strawberry Patch again! Earlier than ever before. I'm enthused. This year, I have Albion, Seascape and another new strawberry variety. My favorite grand daughter (my only one!) is named Evie. When I found Evie-2 hydroponic strawberry plants available, well of course, I had to have some. They're looking great.



Here's the downside of feeding road kill deer to eagles. Annie thinks we did this all just for her....



Annie and her Ranger are never far from what I'm doing. She watches me like a grade school teacher watches her class. When Joyce was still teaching, I always felt like I was in permanent 6th grade anyway. Not much changes....



OK, Chad! Here's another use for those ugly old tires I keep around the farm. Putting the logs up on the tires keeps my saw chain out of the dirt.



Zip, Zip, Zip and the logs become firewood links.



A little later and the links become split firewood. Annie would drive the Ranger if I let her. I think she's smart enough to learn how. She doesn't have thumbs though, so I don't know how she would steer.



This is what I saw a week ago tomorrow. It was cold, but sunny. I had pruned off some limbs from the black walnut trees near the house. A glint of sunshine caught my attention. What's that? Tree sap ice cycles! The sap is running. Walnut sap makes great syrup. In Iowa, though, the season is only measured in days! Our 'sugar season' is probably less than a week long. So, it isn't a product you'll see on the shelves any time soon. You can make your own though, if you get at it quick.



Then since it was 0F and winter outside again, I moved inside and did some cooking. I got out the old fashioned pasta maker and made some homemade noodles.



You can't beat home made egg noodles. And if there's a machine to do it with, what more could you want on a cold winter day. The radiators were nice and toasty, so the noodles dried right out. They'll be good later on, too.



A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and.... I've been trying to figure out ways to incorporate more veggies into my meal plans. Egg rolls are on my favorites list, so I made up a batch of veggies and steamed them to give things a head start. One of the benefits of the internet age is blog friends. One of my blog friends is a vegetarian. Where else could you get better advice about using vegetables than that!? She pointed me in the direction of this website: https://www.aveggieventure.com. It is spectacular! Thanks Michelle!!! I put in some pork sausage and some shrimp, but still.... Very tasty indeed.



That's Annie Oakley down there by the bushes. I couldn't get pics, so I'll just have to tell you the story. I have a falcon out here. The sparrows and little birds are terrified of him (and for good reason). At night, they go into the bushes for shelter and safe hiding. Annie heard them chipping at each other one evening and immediately went over to supervise. All at once, she POUNCED. After a little while, she came out of the brush with a bird in her mouth. 'Last call for that one!' said I. Well, Annie is a control freak, herding dog. She isn't a killer dog. Annie went over to the driveway and put the little bird down. The little bird had not been hurt, and just picked itself up and flew away. I was amazed, and Annie was put out. She wanted to play!



"Tim. This ain't right." said Annie.  "I'm the only one who is supposed to be up here on your lap. He's in my place. Isn't there something we can do to get rid of him?"

We all live here, Annie. We all do our part, and we all try to get along. Some of us more than the others. Nobody is leaving. Get over it.

And so, there you have it. Another little glimpse into my days. All is well, and spring isn't far away. I hope you are all well, too.


6 comments:

  1. The pic of your dog with the ribcage reminded me of this. Enjoy! :-)
    https://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/dogsinelk.html#dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness we don't have elk where I live! Thanks for the good read.

      Delete
  2. Seeing ground in your photo is wonderful. Today, I look outside with 3-4 inches of snow. Being surrounded with wildlife is amazing. Your growing is off to a great start with lots of seeds propagating. Evie strawberries are destined to be outstanding - how could they not be? I'm going to try growing pea shoots & red kale this year. Wish me luck. Lastly, your noodles and spring rolls sound delicious - when's the party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, March 7,I awoke to white ground here, too. Last Wednesday it was 80 F. I live in one of the most changeable climates on earth. Good luck on the pea shoots! I think they would be great in a spring roll mix, too. Cheers

      Delete
  3. Like the way Annie keeps a watch.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.