Monday, July 25, 2022

FALL GREEN BEANS: The Farm Report 07-25-2022

 The Farm Report
07-25-2022

FALL GREEN BEANS


My Grandmom Rhode always planted green beans so she could have a 'fall crop' to put up after school started. Bugs were less, kids under foot were less, heat was less, too. I'm all for that!

So, I got David Bradley out and put a 2-inch cultivator shoe on the plow so I could use it to cut furrows for my seeds. I love to use old machines, and this was another great excuse to use David Bradley. This one was made in 1947.



Here's a good look at the little cultivator shoe. I didn't want to plow up the whole garden plot again like I do in the spring. It isn't necessary, and with the dry weather we've been having, the ground is like concrete - so it isn't possible either.


I keep promising more about the wheat harvest, but for now this is where the wheat used to be. All I needed to plant green beans was a nicely cut trench/drill/furrow into which to put the seeds. The straw stubble will be a fine cover mulch. No need to disturb that.



What Mr. David Bradley lacks in fineness, he makes up for in power. These are 'dirt diggin' machines - as one old timer told me when I was trying to restore this one. He was right.



As fast as I could walk up and down the stubble field, I cut trenches for the beans.


 
I cut more trenches where there had been onions.



And then I got out the Earthway planter. With that little slit trench cut into the soil courtesy of David Bradley, the planter worked perfectly. Again, as fast as I could walk up and down the slits, they were planted. 

Yes, I did indeed plant a lot. A lot, a lot, a lot. Too much? Well, I'll tell you later. But we're so far along in the season now, I don't have a second or third chance anymore. If it turns out I have WAY too many beans, then I'll call the relatives and friends. I'm hoping to have a bumper fall crop of really nice tender green beans to can up and put on my pantry shelf for winter. I likes my beans.

More as we go. All is well at Oakdale Farm.


8 comments:

  1. Don't forget to put up some spicy dilly beans – for ME! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never tried 'em. I'll give it a go!

      Delete
  2. Ah, you have inspired me. Tomorow I'll sow some more beans as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Fall beans are the best. Clean, bug free, cool and grow fast = tender and sweet.

      Delete
  3. I'm headed to the store as we speak, I heard beans are on sale. Already canned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not like mine! Mine will be tasty delicious tender flavorful beans not full of chems and who knows what. Plus, I don't get a ton of satisfaction paying 50 cents for a can of something I can spend thousands on growing them myself! Cheers.

      Delete
  4. My design committee has requested an expansion of my vegetable garden and add green beans for next year. I'll need to elevate the expansion to keep the bunnies from lopping off the plants. That will also be a design committee challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Electricity and fire are good alternative plans. Gunfire if you enjoy meat with your meals.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.