Friday, June 14, 2019

June Is Bustin' Out All Over: The Farm Report 06-14-2019

June Is Bustin' Out All Over
The Farm Report 06-14-2019


Iowa Orchids. Other people know them as bearded iris, but to me, they are Iowa's best example of a prairie orchid. They are tough, pretty and usually fragrant.


Did I say tough? That baby greenhouse in the background is now my propagating house. I use it to root perennial shrubs, mostly. That's an old cold frame at the end of it, too. I use it as a 'Nearing Frame' which is just a ten dollar name for a trick cold frame with a light filtering inner cover. It is great for rhododendrons and azaleas, etc. But the real point is the row of neglected iris. Throughout all Joyce's treatments and illness, this was one of the things that had to live on its own. It did fine!


We like to call these 'Irene's Iris' after my great aunt Irene. No care or fuss for decades, and they're growing strong as ever. 


This is what June is for in Iowa. They're delicious. These are Earliglow. 


There's always sumthin' though. All our wet weather has tricked the plants into producing lots and lots of leaves and runners, but not so many berries. I'm not complaining. Think of what next year will be! 


I mentioned Monte Don from the BBC Gardener's World program a while back. Well between him and a guy before him named Harry Dodson, who did the Victorian Garden series back in the 1980's, I got the idea to try growing wine grapes in my greenhouse. This one is a Traminette. It is a hybrid cross between Gewurztraminer and Joannes Seyve. It is a delicate wine grape that shouldn't be growing where I live! But, thanks to Harry and Monte, who plant grapes inside their greenhouses - with the roots growing under the walls outside! - I'm giving it a try. Stay tuned. I'm starting the little grape off in a fabric bag which will be transplanted (sans bottom) inside the greenhouse soon. 


Out in the garden, I've put up the pickle fence. Before I say more about that though, look at the next picture. It was taken just 5 days after this first one. Five days! It is easy to see why gardeners sometimes get discouraged and say the heck with the whole idea and head to Aldi's for their fruit and veg. 


Just FIVE days later, FIVE days!, and the weeds and grass are threatening to take over the joint. 


On this side, is Carola's Deutcher Garden pickles. We're having a contest. 


Here is the name on the German seed packet she sent me from Hamburg. I have to just identify it as #3 on Carola's fine spreadsheet she sent me because I don't speak or read German. I like words better than numbers, and I can see the root of what I would call a 'Gherkin' pickle in that name somewhere. I think it is a pickle type cucumber. I hope so! 


On the other side (the right side) is the old reliable American pickle, National Pickling. They make great pickles. I don't like to bend over, and I do like having my cukes clean. So I train them to grow up onto a fence. Both problems solved; no bending, no dirty pickles. 


Don't they look good? Add some garlic and dill - and a little fizz time - and you've got pickles. 


So how do I clean up that weedy mess? This is one of my secret weapons. I've had this little tiller since about 1980. It is a Masport brand from New Zealand. They still make 'em. I call it my 'Bumble Bee' tiller since it doesn't look like it could till any more than a bumble bee looks like it could fly. It does though! I got the whole garden cleaned up in about an hour with it. 


Not everything goes to plan though. I did manage to lop off one of my prize Burpee Super Beefsteak tomato plants. I had more and I have replanted. Stuff happens. Remain calm.


Here's a gardening lesson from my Dad. He was always an advocate of waiting to plant until after the weather settled down. Here where I live, at least, the weather will lie to you bald faced and right in your eyes. I planted these green beans early - it was a nice warm day and we had been having nice warm days - in April. 


I planted these green beans - same kind, same soil, planted the same way - about a month later in May. You tell me which row looks better. Beans get chilled and they resent it for the rest of their lives. Wait 'till it is warm, and they'll happily reward you quickly. But a guy's gotta try.... 


The potato rows got weedy, too. I bring out progressively bigger guns as the situation requires. For these guys, I brought out my good old fashioned Troybilt tiller. 


Up and down the rows we go, and no more weeds. So let me just stop right here and address an issue about garden tillers. For one reason or another, there is currently an idea going around that garden tillers will kill your soil and ruin your garden. I have just one word to say about that: PHOOEY! If you don't have a way to get in there and control your weedy garden - and you can see from this Farm Report how fast a garden can get weedy - then you will very rapidly stop gardening and give up. Tillers are wonderful if used correctly. In my experience, they improve the soil and add a lot of pleasure to the process of being in the garden. From this cultivating session there might be one more time to go through with the tiller. Then that is it for the season. Mulching will do the rest of the weed control for the season. At the end of the season, the tiller will cut that mulch into the soil to 'compost in place' as Ruth Stout would have said, improving the soil. So there.


Look close. Those are little potato blooms in there! That usually means the plant is beginning to set little spuds down below. New potatoes and peas! That's what makes all the work worth it. I'll be 'hilling up' the potatoes now. Did you know a potato will never grow down? The spuds grow out from the stem, ABOVE the starter piece we planted back in the early spring. So hilling makes more potatoes. 


The carrot project is coming along. Those little plants down in there that look like grass are really carrots! Lots of 'em. 


Some have even begun to have the parsley like leaves we know as carrots. 


So, yesterday, I weed-whacked the oats and today you can already see they are turning yellow. Oats - and most cereal grains - do not like being mowed or cut. They're easy to kill out of the carrot patch. They have served their nurse crop purpose. Now, 'Come On Carrots!' 


Emmie and I flipped the big round bale. It is the most wonderful compost where it sat. The rest will rot very quickly now. June and July are almost never cold here! So rot away big bale. 


Dog Tease. I'll tell you more as time goes on. As I write this, we're looking at a 5 day old Texas Heeler pup. Ain't she cute? A Texas Heeler is a hybrid cross between an Australian Shepherd and a Blue Heeler (or Australian Cattle Dog). Am I crazy? Am I man enough to handle a Texas Heeler? I have no horse, no cattle, and I'm almost 70 years old. What am I thinking?! The chickens and O.J. may have other ideas, but I think this could be a lot of fun. I hope I can train her before she trains me.


If you were here at Oakdale Farm for an evening libation, this is the view you'd see from the Front Porch right now. Grant Wood, eat your heart out. I think Iowa is one of the most beautiful places on this celestial mud ball we call home.  The view is different every day, but I'm pretty much the same. All is well at Oakdale Farm.

2 comments:

  1. I needed that talking-to about tillers. There is so much 'expert advice' out there and sometimes it's hard sort through. Your garden looks wonderful – and I would take a Texas heeler any day! My Aussie (shepherd) is getting old and it breaks my heart; he's the best dog I've ever had. I've always loved heelers, too, but my husband isn't fond of Aussies and dislikes heelers – probably because he's been threatened or nipped a few times through the years of farm calls as a large animal/horse vet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even Eliot Coleman, the New Organic Grower, uses tillers! They can be overused, but they are a must if your garden is anything bigger than a postage stamp.

    Having traveled around farms a little, I can appreciate your husband's sensitivities towards dogs. I have a firm policy here at Oakdale Farm: NO GROUCHY DOGS! I provide free food and shelter, and they'd better damned well appreciate that. And, one of their jobs is to be my welcoming committee and public relations officer. NO GROUCHY DOGS. I work hard to make sure of that, too. Not everybody does, and a Vet has to deal with them all. Sometimes I keep a bag of treats in my mailbox with instructions to visitors to stop and get a treat for the dog before they drive up to the shop. With that, we LOVE to see visitors come. My heeler, Ben, learned to open the screen door for the UPS guy - and anybody else who headed toward that door. They thought it was a hoot, and once Ben caught on, he was a total show-off about it. Wouldn't let anybody beat him to the door first. I made him his own door handle down low, and he would hook his paw into that and throw that door wide open, then look at you like, "There you go!"

    My Zoey, a cross between a pointer and a black lab, had a stroke last January. Probably the gentlest dog we've ever had, she was 15. Thank the good lord for our Vets! With my Vet's help, she didn't suffer one ounce. I know it breaks your heart, but as James Herriot said in one of his stories, "Only them that has 'em can loose 'em." Enjoy your time while you have it.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.