Saturday, June 22, 2019

Sweet Potato Pie: The Farm Report 06-22-2019

Sweet Potato Pie
The FarmReport 06-22-2019


OK, so this isn't exactly a sweet potato pie starter picture. It is the announcement of our 'Name That Dog' contest! Everybody is invited to enter. No limit on entries, no penalties for trying, no prize for winning.  This pic is a decoy. See last time's post for a real picture of our new pup. She is a cross between an Australian Shepherd and a Blue Heeler.


Now we'll get back to the subject at hand for this time. Sweet potatoes! If you've been watching, you'll remember seeing this milk jug/sweet potato slip factory. It has been perking along for a long time on a heated mat in the greenhouse. The original 'tater is just one from the grocery store. Given enough heat and time, they'll sprout.  Joyce made world famous 'pumpkin' pies. Actually, she almost never used pumpkin; it was almost always sweet potatoes in there that made 'em so good.


Out of the jug, and here's what we've got. See the roots on the new little slips!?


If you've never done this before, you just let the tater sprout, root and then break off the little slips from the mamma tater. 


I buy some slips each season, too. This is how they arrive. Sometimes they don't look too good. 


Every single one will usually grow though. Taters is tough. 


Another gardener's secret weapon. This is an especially good secret weapon for an old guy like me that doesn't like bending over so much. I'm not into 'nurturing' my plants that much. I just want 'em in the ground and growing. This tool makes that happen. 


The first order of business is to throw up a hill. I use Troybilt for that. Then I just lay the slips end to end on the crest of the hill. 


Here we go. Slips all laid out and ready to be happy. I usually buy my slips from 'Tater Man' and he says if you don't crowd your slips a little, they will not make taters; they'll make vines. I crowd 'em. 


Remember that stick? See the notch in the end. That is where the magic happens.  If you want one from me just like this one, let me know and I'll list it on Etsy for $89 for you. Otherwise, just cut a notch in the end of your broomstick and you'll have exactly the same tool. It's your choice.
 


Directions for use: Lay out slips. Put notch over root end of the slip about 1/3 of the way up. 


Push down. 


Presto! Job Done. The slip is planted and that's all there is to it. 


Next! 


Sweet potatoes are easy to grow once they get started. I give mine a little drink and then go away. These plants will spread out at least 4 ft on each side. In a couple of months this area will be totally covered with vines - and taters underneath. 


'Sweet' is the operative term here. The deer think they are super sweet and will eat every single one if I don't protect them. In the past, I've always used electricity! This year, I'm having such great results with the flash/snake/scare tape I'm putting up some to start. If the deer come in, then they will learn the hard way that flashy tape breatheth fire! 


These are the white/Irish spuds. They have been hilled up for probably the last time now. 


Doesn't that look nice. They will make bigger and more potatoes now with all that earth mounded up around the plant stems. That little corner is where you'll be seeing my melons pretty soon. 


How do I do that? Me and Henry Ford team up with a tool I made. Officially, it is called a hilling disc. I bought the discs and made the rest. 


To use, Henry and I just putt down the rows and the hilling discs throw up the mound of earth around the plants. 


For those with a little black smithing blood in their veins, here are some closeups of the construction details.  


Reddy Bolt or 'all thread' rod is what I used to hold the brackets onto the tool bar. 


A couple of bolts act as the positioning clamp. 


Mowing mowing mowing is the order of the days here many days now. This is Joyce's Picnic Point where I split wood for the winters. 


This is the lane that goes into Picnic Point. That mud puddle is like a moat right now! 


Don't forget to give me your entry for the 'Name That Dog' contest. Add it to the comments below, email me, add a Facebook comment, or whatever. I already have a pretty good suggestion, but I'll with hold final judgement until later. No limit on entries, no prize for winning. The judge's decision is final. (FYI: These are just internet dog pictures, but my former Heeler, Ben, looked just like this one, right down to laying with his legs crossed. He was a great dog, too.) Until next time, all is well at Oakdale Farm. Fido? Pooch? Arnold - get creative.


2 comments:

  1. Well, what else could the name be but Tater!?! Or Spud; it looks like one in the photo you shared. Maybe an old, moldy one, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tool you made there!. Name suggestion: Arco

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.