Saturday, December 14, 2019

EEEWWWWW!!! The Farm Report 12-14-2019

EEEWWWWW!!!
The Farm Report 12-14-2019


EEEWWWWW!!!

Or I suppose we could subtitle this edition 'Fuzzy's Revenge.' Apparently Fuzzy didn't have a good winter last year. It was a tough winter for all of us, but for raccoons especially, judging from Fuzzy's appearance.

"What?"

While I was splitting wood up in The Timber last week, I happened to look up and saw Annie Oakley proudly carrying something around.

"What the heck was that?" I said to myself.

She just chewed and chewed on it. She kept if far enough away from me that I could neither see what it was or - most importantly as far as she was concerned - take it away from her!

I figured out what it was, of course. She had become bored with wood splitting and had wandered off into the woods seeking fun and adventure. She has an incredibly sensitive sniffer, and found the remains of this dead raccoon. When I was packing up getting ready to go back down to the shop, Annie instinctively started burying Fuzzy - as I've named him - under an old cement mixer for safekeeping.

There are two things you should know about Fuzzy: 1. Annie has kept him now for about two weeks. He shows up when we're splitting at Picnic Point up in The Timber; but he has also regularly been showing up at the shop! Annie is carrying him and hiding him all over the farm. She is his best buddy - or should that be the other way around. Whatever. Fuzzy is both furry, stinky and also needs to be part of her herd. What more could a little dog want. 2. I often see people letting dogs lick their faces and sometimes even encouraging it. They will tell you a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's so it is just fine to let them lick you in the mouth. Well B.S. to that! Right after Annie cleans her, Umm, well you know what, she chews on Fuzzy. No licking for me please, Annie.

Annie is now in day 3 of recovery from her trip to use her Free Spay/Neuter coupon at the Fremont County Vet's. She's doing just fine thank you. Actually, she was doing just fine the very next day. She would have been a great mother and would probably have had great pups - but I'm an old guy and I'm just not up to it. Unless you have a reason to breed, please spay/neuter your animals. End of sermon.

It is a quieter time at Oakdale Farm. I'm continuing to make progress restoring this old Singer Red Eye 66 sewing machine. She's a beaut!

I've added a jib crane to the log splitter to make my lifting almost a thing of the past. 

And I'll finish with a story about being in shock and fear! Annie is a 6 month old pup - translate that to read obstinate naughty lovable teenager. She gets into trouble because she knows it will get my attention. Trying to be the more intelligent one on the premises, I have attempted to outwit her. Continue reading after you've stopped laughing and have wiped the tears from your eyes. I know.... Anyway, Annie likes to chew, and the best thing I've found for her is to just let her chew on empty - repeat that - empty plastic bottles. She has a ball. They're chewy and make noise. Fun.

I repaired a chair for a neighbor just before Thanksgiving. I use a number of adhesives and techniques because that's what I am - a retired professional furniture restorer and conservator. I've got tricks up my sleeve where you didn't even know there were sleeves. Medical grade superglue is one of my 'tack welding' tricks. I used some on the chair project. I was tired and finished the job a little later than I usually work in the shop. Next morning, when I was inspecting my job, I couldn't find the superglue bottle. YIKES! Oh no! Annie hides everything. Remember Fuzzy? Well, she buries and hides all her toys and buddies. I could not find that bottle! Right on the bottle, it says 'Bonds Skin Instantly' and they ain't kiddin'. Ask my good buddy Jerry T. about the time I glued myself to a chair during a teaching demo if you want a good story. What if Annie got that bottle back out from her hiding place and chewed a hole in it!? This would be almost certain death for her. It would weld her mouth shut - instantly - and the release agent is basically acetone. No way she could survive that long enough to release her before she succumbed. I spent all morning looking. My neighbor came over to help me look. Nothing. Annie was sequestered outside the shop. Well, after lunch we found the bottle. Uncharacteristically, I had put it away in the shop fridge where I keep it. When I closed the door to the fridge that night, another bottle pushed in front of it. All was well all along! Whew!

So here's the December calendar picture. It doesn't look much different than some of the November ones. November is really our transitional month. January could be snow covered or not. Time will tell. For now, it is just pleasantly quiet and Annie and I are enjoying it.

If I don't post again before the holidays, here's me wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year from Oakdale Farm.

6 comments:

  1. One of my dogs (Monty, I think) once found a STINKING dead Badger. I had to pick it up with the aid of a long pole, and put it up a tree until I lit a bonfire to dispose of it properly. What they find so attractive about such things is a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. With such highly refined sniffers, you'd think dogs would be repelled by such stench. Nope! And when a white dog comes back from the field with a green tint, that isn't good either; especially if there are cows in the field....

      Delete
  2. A very Merry Christmas to you, too, Tim! I love reading about your farm livin' in the middle of the country. Sometimes I get a little envious, sometimes I feel a little sad for you. Mostly I just appreciate what you share, and how you share it. May we all survive the "teenager years"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teenagers, of any ilk.... Glad you enjoy my blatherings. I try to live a life of joy, hope, love and peace. Most of the time I'm successful at it! Sad times are undeniable, but I also believe life is what we make it - and I intend to make it just as much fun as I can. Sometimes I have to fib to myself a little, but mostly not. Merry Christmas to you, too.

      Delete
  3. After seeing “Fuzzy” in person I must say that I’ve started questioning Annie’s judgement in toys��... The glue bottle story had me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning!!! It’s sooo unlike you to lose track of something Tim.��!
    I’ve got to comment on the addition to your wood splitter! After using your old splitter that Dad purchased from you; I’m must say that crane is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Dad loves it! Sometimes he takes us all outside just so he can show us (again!) how it works! We’ve put it to great use several times all ready this winter..
    This particular blog made me smile a lot! Hope you and Annie have a very merry Christmas! We will see you soon I’m sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuzzy has now been hidden in the granary somewhere. Hopefully he won't return any time soon. Jib cranes are as ancient as sailors and have been used for centuries. Don't know why it took me so long to remember about them and use one to save my back! Merry Christmas to you all, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.