Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Don't Be Fooled: The Farm Report 11-25-2020

Don't Be Fooled
The Farm Report 11-25-2020


Sometimes, things aren't what they seem to be.


Dogs live in the moment; cats plan ahead. Annie was thinking she was really making progress having O.J. like her the other morning. Like most young girls, she wants to be 'popular.' They were acting like besties, at least that is what Annie thought. Everybody else in the room (me and O.J.) knew differently.


"Oh, O.J." Annie said to herself, "we can be best friends after all."


O.J. responded to Annie's love nuzzles with a purring kitty head bump. It was one of Annie's best mornings so far.


Annie was going into a love trance. O.J. was simply working Annie into position for what was to come next. You could see him working her, and if you've ever been around them, you knew - you just knew! - what was coming next.


Then when all the wheels were in their correct alignment, and using his finest sarcastic stage whisper and all the contempt an old tomcat can muster - and that is A LOT, you could just hear O.J. say to himself under his breath, "You stupid dog." Annie was even beginning to smell a rat when, out of the blue and faster than a speeding bullet ...

O.J. smacked Annie a good un right across the Schnoz.


Annie looked at me like, "What happened, Tim?!"


"Why does he do that to me, do you think?" Annie doesn't get mad or very offended. She just seems to roll with the punches and is a little disappointed. She'll keep trying to befriend the old cuss though. She never gives up! Of course, neither does he for that matter. Maybe Annie's cold nose pushing O.J. in places he would rather not have her cold nose push him might have something to do with his contempt for her - and the urge to get even. It is infinitely entertaining to me though.


This picture doesn't do the sight justice, but it helps explain where I live. One afternoon as I was headed to the timber to cut wood, the skies were crisscrossed with jet trails. Truly, I live at the center of the world where everybody 'flies over' regardless where you're coming from or going to. Fine with me!


My fun ain't everybody's cup of tea. I love to haul in logs to the 'Picnic Point' clearing as Joyce named it, and split it into firewood. And just for the record and to keep things on an even keel, this pic should help you to understand that firewood heating is probably the single most expensive way there is to heat your digs. It takes (joyfully!) a lot of gear and equipment - plus you need a good insurance policy 'just in case.'


Still and all, there isn't much more peaceful to me than to link and split logs in the ebbing light of the evening on a crisp fall/winter day. It is satisfying to me, and the sleep that comes from the exercise is deep and restful - as long as the ibuprofen bottle is kept full.


Annie's version of heaven: A stalk of corn to eat and play with, and a tire rim to 'hula hoop' with when she's of a mind to.


This afternoon on 'Lunch Break' Annie was barking and barking. She's not a barker, so I knew something was up. I suspected coyotes. Nope.


Way down there in the trees this is what she was barking at. He stayed there for over 2 hours. He is the most magnificent bald eagle I think I've ever seen. Perfect! and Huge! He was not intimidated by Annie one dropper full. In fact, he was about the same size as she is, and he kept doing the hawk/eagle binocular vision thing where they move their head back and forth measuring distance before the attack. I really was a little worried he might swoop to give her a lesson, and me a thrill. He didn't.


Me and mine have all decided the best thing this year is to stay home and stay safe. The boiler is full of wood, so I'm warm.


Annie thinks she's a lap dog, but she isn't. Well, she is, but still, she isn't!


I've got my books and my tunes and my entertainment. A fire to keep me warm and nostalgic in the evenings, and I'm fine. I hope you are all fine, too. Right now, let's think about staying safe by staying with our heads down just a little bit longer.  We've come so far. To come out right now would be a little bit, to me, like saying to yourself, "I think that machine gun is almost out of bullets. Maybe we could get out of this trench for a while and be OK." Don't. Please don't. I plan on being around to annoy you for a long time yet - and I need an audience like you to annoy. Eat more turkey, or pizza, or brats.... I haven't decided yet what I'm going to cook Thursday. I'll fix something though. Maybe just popcorn. Who knows? Cheers from Oakdale Farm.

 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving,Tim!! Love your stories!! I'm so thankful to have called Joyce my friend and wish she was here to hunker down with you! Take care my friend, looking forward to the day we can worship together live and in person!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind message. We'll be able to be together 'for real' again soon. Until then...keep your head down!

      Delete
  2. I just loved that nature nugget/picture story/animal fable! You captured the frenemies perfectly. We feel the same way about wood heat; wouldn't trade it as long as we have strength and a wood-burner. It was a little nerve-pricking yesterday bringing a college student home, especially since he has big plans for seeing lots of friends while he's home. Rick and I wore masks for most of the drive with him! More and more people we KNOW are getting COVID; mostly out of state but not all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the things I miss from our Wisconsin home, a real wood burning fireplace is probably the top of the list. We made a fire most mornings, and had coffee and tea until the wood was embers. It sets a pace - a beginning and an ending. With gas, pop! and you're on; pop! and you're off. Maybe like life today?

      My observation is that there are usually tears and angst involved when the kids go off to college the first time. The angst comes back the second time at the arrival for breaks! Parenting ain't easy - but it is our job. Covid isn't a joke either. Stay safe.

      Delete
  3. I, too, enjoy your stories. I have gas heat, but I do have a fireplace that I can burn actual wood in - it's just about getting cold enough to do so :-) That eagle was huge! Safe at home, here.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.