The Green DoorThe Farm Report
From that to this. I'm risking breaking my arm patting myself on the back, but I think the new door came out pretty good. We'll need to pour a new concrete stoop next spring.
After some judicious digging and fitting, we put in the stainless tube. It is about twice as long as what you can see. We poured ordinary dry builder's sand around it to seat it in place.
After the original wood plates were stripped off the concrete, we discovered the original anchor bolts were still in good shape. A little strategically placed heat and a bit of brute force and the old square nuts turned off like magic.
I used a Vice Grip pliers to hold the bolt shaft while I turned the old nut off.
Here is the first set of plates down and tight.
Same shot, with the new top plate flipped over and in place hiding the anchor bolts - and protecting them from weather. Always test fit your work before you apply glue!
I did pose Annie for this pic. After I got the top plates glued and screwed down tight, we both breathed a sigh of relief and went home to make the door frame. We are both pleased with the new frame and plates.
I used too-big hinges so I had plenty of iron to fasten to. A little black smithing, and I bent the hinge legs over so I could have a screw holding from a different vector angle. I grew up here, and I know what wind can do.
Skin on, and Annie was ready for the end of the day.
The season has closed in for sure now. These are my Gypsy broccoli plants.
"This isn't going good, Tim!"
"He's sticking his paw out at me!"