Friday, July 28, 2023

A Sad Report: The Farm Report 7-28-2023

A Sad Report

The Farm Report

7-28-2023


From the view off my front porch at Oakdale Manor, I have sad news to share with you today. I'll keep it short, but I know you would want to know. O.J. has gone on to the Kitty Kingdom in Heaven.



Although this isn't a very good photo, it is the last one I took of him hard at work. This was just this week. It has been very hot here, and I have been concerned about him. Neither he nor I like heat. Every summer for the past 20 years he's been the King of the Land here at Oakdale Farm. He has lost weight and become lethargic every year, then recovered in the fall. But this time, it has been different. His hair coat was getting ragged, and he just wasn't himself. Good appetite, but just no spiz.



Annie Oakley was even worried about him. 


So what happened? I can't be 100% sure, but I think I know. O.J. (short for Orange Julius) spends nights outside in the nice weather. It is not by my choice. He just will not! come in. He's sneaky about it. When I try catching him unaware and shutting him in earlier in the afternoons after he comes inside for lunch, he just stops coming in for lunch. He has breakfast with me the next morning, then a nap.

Well, he has passed up his free meals for the last two days. That is never a good sign on the farm. This afternoon, I found his remains laying out on the edge of the field near the peach trees.

You don't need to see what I had to see, but maybe I can explain what I'm pretty sure happened in the hope it will help my 'city' friends understand what goes on out in the country.

O.J. has been enjoying a pretty steady diet of bunny rabbits. He catches them at night. It appeared from the CSI evidence that O.J. had captured a bunny, and was beginning to enjoy the spoils of his conquest. Then, an owl decided that he would rather have that bunny. It happens. Owls are huge silent predators. From the wounds, O.J. was blasted from above by a very big owl and passed without a fight or struggle. He may not have even known what happened. O.J. was too big for the owl to move. The bunny was not. (Even at his slim summer weight, O.J. still clocked in at over 15 pounds.) So, the owl eliminated the original predator, and swiped the meal - then flew off with it.

Owls are vicious large predators who fly silently. They do not read books and wear horn rimmed glasses. They have talons that rival bald eagles. They are serious predators. We have lots of them here in the timber. It is a fact of life. 

So our Oakdale Farm Report has one less player in the cast of characters. In a way, it is a sort of relief for me to know O.J. has come to a noble end. He was always a hunter and fighter of the first order. At twenty, I have been concerned he would succumb to some disease that would make his last days miserable. We're all sad, but there is some comfort in how it all ended. 

O.J. died with his boots on.   


18 comments:

  1. Rest in peace, O.J!!! YOU were the BEST!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was, and he was ALL the character I made him out to be.

      Delete
  2. Yes, some ends are easier on the heart than others. Easier, not easy, not ever. Love to you and Annie, who I'm sure will miss OJ more than he would have every admitted to. –Michelle at Boulderneigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not easy, but it is part of the circle of life. You know only too well. Annie's reaction is interesting. I'll tell more later. Peace.

      Delete
  3. Boy, that’s a hard one. But yes, better in combat than sick and sad. Condolences to you and Annie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better to live right 'til the end than drag it out.

      Delete
  4. sorry to hear that Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Sorry. At least you found him, Tim. At least you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We've had any number of 'farm cats' here who don't make it past a year or two. We found the colar of a favorite little cat out under a tree in a hedge row one time. Owls again. This is not easy, but it does seem a good and fitting end for such a long lasting farm warrior!

      Delete
  6. I fear the same fate for Fred since he's discovered Daisy's doggie doors to the outside. We have more foxes out and about than owls and poor Fred has the attitude but no claws to defend himself or escape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It's more about attitude than weaponry - and old cats DO have attitude!

      Delete
  7. Yes, as you said, Tim, there is some comfort in knowing how OJ went. So much better than not to have ever truly known what happened to him. I've said a little prayer to cat heaven that (especially at his age) he went quickly while doing just exactly what he wanted to do. Drat and dang, it is SO hard to lose the animals that have been a part of our families for so many years. I'm sorry, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a favorite uncle who was a vet. My brother and I sometimes helped him a little in the summers. I know too much. I had been worried about old cat kidney failure. I think I was seeing the signs. So - all in all - it was a good way to end the game. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  8. May OJ have a safe journey and those left behind find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim, I'm sorry for your loss of O.J. I saw your comment on the Boulderneigh blog and wanted to share some info about circular sock machines. You will be able to find one relatively easily. Erlbacher and Tru-Knit are two of the most popular ones being currently manufactured domestically. I just sold my Erlbacher Reduced Ratio because I'm on the list to get a Tru-Knit. Many people find vintage machines at auctions, antique markets, etc. and then restore them. There are multiple groups on FB, one that might be of interest is Circular Sock Machine Knitters 2.0. There is also a group in Iowa that has a private FB group called PIGS 2.0: People in Glorious Socks that has a big crank-in annually. And there is also the Circular Sock Machine Knitting Society website that you might like to poke around on. I'm happy to answer any questions that I can if you have any :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.J. was a special tomcat! AND - Wow! I just stumbled across the sock knitting machines, and KERPOW! Now I have a whole new world of antique machines to explore. I know absolutely nothing about yarn and knitting, same with the sock machines. But that's never held me back before. So! Maybe I have a new winter project that I didn't even know I could be interested in. Thanks for the input!!!

      Delete
  10. I am sorry to hear about OJ. I will say, from what you have always posted, OJ lived life to the fullest his way. He will be missed but always remembered. Sending love and condolences to you and Annie. RIP OJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.J. did indeed live life HIS way, ALWAYS. He was not a 'warm fuzzy kitty.' He was born in the barn to a cat my wife named C-3 (Corn Crib Cat). She was little, but ferocious! She was the only mama cat that could survive our Scotch Collie, Lucky. She sat him in his place and made him like it. O.J. had the same attitude. He lived 20 years as an opportunistic mostly outdoor hunter and fighter. He came in for free food and a warm place to sleep - when he wanted to. He would let you pet him, when he wanted you to. Most of the time, he just retreated to his bedroom (he had several) and slept away after a bowl of free food. He was a total passive-aggressive character! I miss him, but am comforted knowing he died very swiftly and he was healthy until the last. Thanks for following along, and for your kind words.

      Delete

I love getting your feedback. Please leave me a note or ask a question.